Monday, April 30, 2018

Single or Double?



I often ignore good advice. A few days ago, someone suggested that I start using one space after a period instead of two; I needed to get with the times. Google will prove me correct. The first thing that popped up; “Nothing says over-40 like two spaces after a period.” 

Set in my ways? Irrespective of daily reminders, and evidence to the contrary, I deny it. Some things are sacred: two spaces after a period and the Oxford comma, for example. My high school Typing and English teachers told me so. The second thing on Google was an exhortation: “For all that is good and holy in this world, don’t . . . ! I felt God was calling on me to experiment with change, against my better judgment. I don’t like paragraphs that look like run-on sentences.

The computer is now set to allow only one space after a period. This should take care of the issue, but it doesn’t. It seems muscle memory is stronger than brain memory. Each time I type a period, my thumb automatically hits the space bar twice, producing a green line that tells me I goofed. Each sentence needs re-spacing. Why call it a space bar if they don’t want you to create spaces? Why is it so long if not to make it easy to hit it twice from either side of the keyboard?

Old fashion typesetting allocated the same space to each letter, regardless of width. Typewriters did the same thing. It makes perfect sense. Electric typewriters started squeezing smaller letters together, and computers followed. Printing became proportional. Today, almost every popular font produces proportional spacing between letters. A computer has been on my desk since 1982, and until recently, no one complained about two spaces after a period; it was encouraged. Technology wins out again.

It may no longer be necessary to double space after a period, to separate one sentence visually from another, but I still don’t like it. I checked my AP style guide – single space. I checked the NYT style guide – single space. I checked the University Of Chicago Manual Of Style – single space. They are all lemmings. These style books may be correct, technically, but it that doesn’t make them right!

There is good news, however.  The courier fonts allocate the same space to all letters.  For good measure, they require two spaces between sentences.  This makes life easier for those who have good muscle memory or those who want to stay with the tried and true. 

We can talk about the Oxford comma another time.